July 26: A Dead Rat, Two Tires, and a Waterfall

Saturday's long run at Waddell Creek (Big Basin Redwoods, HWY 1 side) was a GREAT 12 mile run. I got up at 5am and ate a bowl of oatmeal. Left the house by 6:30am for the TNT carpool to be at Waddell by 7:45am. The coast was SUNNY with an ever so mild breeze. This was the perfect coastal morning. Started across HWY 1 when Robin yelled over to us, "Are you leaving? How many miles?" She claimed she heard someone say "eight" and crossed the road with us. Coach Tim (that's him in the pic) did his usual prep-talk and mentioned that according to legend...back in the logging days a topper fell from a tree to a sure death when he landed on two tires causing him to bounce to his feet ready to top another tree. It has been said (by Coach Doug), that if you kick the tires you are assured a successful running event. On that note, we started off. Along with Robin, 5 of us (myself, Jen, Beth, Carrie, and Danielle) grouped together maintaining a 3min run: 2min walk interval at the same pace. After a few miles, we saw a fresh dead rat. Nice. The dappeled shaded dirt trail was lined by redwoods and ferns. We crossed occasional bridges crossing the smooth stone lined creek. Came across the tires, and just to be sure, we all kicked them with BOTH feet. A few walking hills - but this was GREAT! At the 6 mile mark, we came to the waterfall. Gorgeous. Along the way, we talked Robin not only into running the 12 miles for the day, but switching from the Nike Half-Marathon to the full! I think we talked Beth into going 12 today, as well. We kept each other going with positive sarcasm and good conversation - although, I can't remember what we talked about.

Felt pretty darn good (tired, of course) at the end of the run and ready for the potluck facing the beach. Had a bit of pasta salad, got a cuppa joe and made my way to the natural ice bath called the Pacific Ocean. Set my watch for 10 minutes and stood in the water up to my knees, letting the waves crash into me. Yah it was cold - but natural salts and the healing powers of the COLD made this the perfect end to a great 12 mile run. Couldn't have done it without my TNT peeps. GO TEAM! Almost forgot to mention how long the 12 miles took to run. Hmmm, I don't seem to recollect...

4 comments:

Jen said...

WOohoo, we rule! :)

L said...

That was truly a great run! I'm so glad we did it together!

Dianne Rambke said...

Sounds like fun, I'm bummed I missed out! I did Wharf to Wharf on Sunday but I'm in for the next long run!

Anonymous said...

You rock J9, keep it up! You're very inspiring. Good to hear that you're enjoying it and staying injury free!