July 12: 12 Miles, 4 Blisters, 3 Bags of Ice

Today, I RAN 12 MILES. I have minimal damage - 4 blisters and two sore legs. Two of the blisters are on top of each other, so I'm not sure how to count that one. But, I'm jumping ahead...

It was a cool, gray Saturday morning at Sawyer camp – PERFECT day for a run. As always, I checked in with Coach Kris to tell her my morning mileage – 10 miles. Took off at 7:10am with a stomach full of Gu (Tri Berry flavor), running along a lake and through the trees alongside bunnies and lizards. But without my usual running mates, I was unsure of how I would make it without them. Luckily Margot began running with me and helped me to set a pace – we were both doing a 3:1 (3min run:1 min walk) interval. I had a rhythm – both breathing and movement. At mile 4 or so, I continued on without Margot. At the 10mile turnaround, I said to myself, “I’m going to shoot for 12.” Then the incline began. I ran a bit, but mostly walked at a brisk pace up the hill. Top of the hill at the 6 mile marker stood the TNT water-Gatorade-gel-pretzel-Pink Floyd-station. I hung out there for about 10-15 min and then Margot arrived! She took her break and we began the descent (walking to save knees). Began back to intervals at about 6.5 miles – I was doing it and felt good for a really long time! At mile 9, my calves were done and I felt blisters. As if on cue, mentor Kristy came up from behind and gave me the boost that I really needed to keep on going. Finally, MILE 12 (TWELVE!) ARRIVED. I stretched while talking to fellow TNTers. I walked. I drove home – with a quick stop to buy 3 bags of ice (21 lbs). Home. Shoes off (4 ripe blisters), sweatshirt on, fully clothed. Filled bathtub with a bit of cold water. Made hot cup of coffee. Into the bath with water up to knees, then my husband and kids dumped the ice onto my legs. 10 minutes – COLD, REALLY COLD - focused on blood rushing to muscles to heal 12 miles of damage. Coooool shower. Refueled with 4 scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese. Then sleep – 3 hours. On June 7th, I ran the longest distance I had ever run in my life – 3 miles. Today, July 12th, I ran 12.

1 comment:

Dianne Rambke said...

That is amazing!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!