Why J9, Why: A reminder of WHAT this is all about

As I enter into a new season, I'm looking back on my training just a few months ago. I'm really amazed at how far I have come. I ran 9 miles on Saturday and felt zero soreness. I was REALLY tired later in the day, but a few months ago...9 miles and ice-bath happened within an hour of each other (evidence to the right).

I'm also thinking about why I'm doing this and have to quote a posting from a few months ago. It holds true whether you are a novice TNT participant or a veteran. EVERY runner has a goal - to push beyond their own limits, whatever they are. The longer runs get tougher, but we will always push through with the reminders of why we are out there - the stuggles we experience during marathon training don't compare to the struggles families experience as they endure the devasting effects of cancer. Chemo, radiation, spinal taps, the poking and prodding of needles, sick from cancer, sick from treatments, feelings of hope to feelings of despair, messages left on the phone by doctors stating, "You have cancer. Call back to schedule an appointment."

During every training, we all support teammates through hardships and successes with sarcasm and smiles. We're also quick to state ,"Suck it up, man! Try chemo!" The entire TNT group is the most inspiring, sincere, dedicated, supportive, caring group of people I have ever met - it's a cult of "nice" people with the mission to cure cancer. Which brings me to my last point - many honorees have stated that they are inspired by our dedication to "the cause". However, it is them who inspire us. Sniff, sniff.

No comments: