WE CONQUERED 18 MILES!

Yep, WE. If it weren't for the run girls, I think I would have given up. Jen, Robin, and I were joined by Sandy on this run - the more run girls the better. Beth was sick this time out :( We were warned to be prepped for the sun and heat - it did reach 90F during the run. Had water, electrolyte drinks, variety of GUs and GELs, and the drive to conquer 18 miles along the Coyote Creek trail. We saw sun, shade, water, the creek, a shaking bridge, a dead bird, a water skier, and runners and walkers from the South Bay, Monterey Bay, and Peninsula run teams. The long runs are getting tougher - the last two miles always a desperate game between the head and legs. I can breathe without a problem, but those legs start giving out at the same time my head is telling them, "You're never going to make it." Before we headed out, Coach Doug reminded us these run are tough, but to push through with the reminders of why we are out there - the stuggles we experience during marathon training don't compare to the struggles families experience as they endure the devasting effects of cancer. Chemo, radiation, spinal taps, the poking and prodding of needles, sick from cancer, sick from treatments, feelings of hope to feelings of despair, messages left on the phone by doctors stating, "You have cancer. Call back to schedule an appointment." My head didn't let my legs give up and I did complete 18 miles. So then what? Chocolate milk, ice bath, two breakfast burritos, nap, dinner: steak, fully loaded baked potato, salad, chips, toasted-coconut-rolled-ice-cream sundae with hot-fudge and whipped cream...and a guiltless feeling. I deserved all of this!

No comments: