Getting Ready for Saturday's 20 MILES!

During today's track, we rungirls started chatting about prep for the 20 miler. This is the marathon "dress rehearsal" - and the dress rehearsal starts now. Time to hydrate, eat well during the week, and get plenty of sleep.

Saturday morning - up at 4am for two bowls of oatmeal, a cuppa tea, and a banana. In between spoonfuls of oatmeal, I'll start foam rolling the legs to warm-up the muscles before the stretching routine - calves, achilles, quads, hip flexors.

Then gotta wear the right non-chafing, sweat-wicking, cool-running outfit. Before the outfit goes on, gotta smear the BodyGlide all over the feet and between the toes, wherever clothes brush against the skin, and other unmentionable areas. I plan to wear my new Atalanta (skirtgoddess.com) run skort - wore it at track and it felt GREAT!

Friday night I will pack up my fuel belt. Gotta carry electrolyte replenishing liquids (32 oz), glycogen replenishing gels (5-6 packs), caffeine loaded beans (1 pack), and something for the belly that's not a liquid, gel, or bean. Preferably chocolate flavoured. I liked the PowerBar multi-grain chocolate, chocolate-chip bar I had last week (42 grams of carbs and 10 grams of protein). The stomach definately needs something more substantial than a Gu or gel during the long runs. Have no fear, we've got water stops on the run to re-fill the bottles. So, that's the food during the run. Also need lip goop, a camera, kleenex, and money for the post-run MEAL.
After expending THOUSANDS of calories and depleting all glycogen stores in the body, gotta eat and eat soon. Hmmm, I'll have my post-run choco-milk in the cooler, a banana, maybe some pumpkin bread. Then, it's off to brunch. As of this moment, I'm looking forward to eggs benedict, coffee with half 'n' half, hash browns, fruit, and a side of sausage or bacon -and ice water with lemon.

And why? This week I'm running in honor of a 17 month old little guy who was diagnosed with Leukemia today. He's getting a spinal tap tomorrow. I'm running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society who supports families and funds research. I'm running to save lives.

GO TEAM! Donate Now!!



1 comment:

Jen said...

Well that post just made me HUNG-ry ;)