Ice, Rest, Boot, Run....

Hmmm.  Where to start.  What trainings have I missed? Six weeks ago was my last long run (16 miles).  I missed the 18 mile run, then the 20 mile run, 4 track trainings, 5 short runs (4-6 miles).  The 18 mile run was along the coast in Santa Cruz, California, and the 20 mile run was along the coast of Monterey on a gorgeous sunny morning (that's the run in the pic above).  I, however, did work an aid-station on the 20 mile run and had a fun time hanging with a fellow gimp, her husband, as well as the coach's daughter who brought music to our ocean-view aid-station.

Why did I miss the trainings?  An xray and MRI failed to explain the 5 weeks of shin pain.  Two of those weeks were spent in a boot which ultimately jacked up the ankle and knee.  I, therefore, 
gave the boot, the boot.  I requested a bone scan - all of these screenings took time to get approved by insurance - OH, then the delay in getting the appointments.  Since the screenings showed no bone issues, I ditched the system and took my shin to Coach Kris at Sports Medicine Institute (SMI) in Palo Alto.   "Hey Janine, did you know your CALF is really tight?"  Hmm, guess I didn't.

Any Undisclosed information?  Get ready to gasp...I'm a toe runner.  Prancer, Coach Tim calls me.   Toe runner is good if you're a sprinter, but not for endurance runners.  My calf tightened to maximum capacity leading to shin issues.  At least, this is my diagnosis based on conversations with a running shoe guy, Coach Kris who is also a sports massage therapist, and several experienced marathoners.  

Now What? Stationary bike, elliptical, and twice aqua-jogging.  Aqua jogging is now on the schedule for 2X/week. I'm easing back into the game and did a 3K run/walk today.  I concentrated on heal, ball, toe and stuck with it.  Felt shin a little at mile 2.5,  no shin after the run, big time shin 8 hours after run.  Ice, elevate, ibuprofen.

NAPA? No Napa Marathon - I'll be there to support my Team in Training team mates, the heroes who have raised over $100K in 4 months to fight blood cancers.  I hope to run alongside my peeps when they need the support the most.  I hope to run the Mermaid Half Marathon on March 22 - the way I feel today, I don't know if that will be possible.  I need to rest, rehab, and THEN train for the next one.  Portland?  Portland sounds good.




Postscript:  While hanging out at the waterstop in Monterey, a guy with a guitar case strapped around his back asked several injured runners, "What is best in life?"  Read Gabby's Blog to find the answer.  

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good to see you update again :). This has definitely not been the season either of us was expecting, but I'm so happy you're staying positive and I know you'll be back and at 'em before long. Remember, we're in it for the long haul!