TEN MILES!

Oh yes....Ten Miles.
Today I ran my first double-digit run since my winter season injury in January. Jen was on the fence regarding her day's mileage (she ran a half-marathon last weekend), and at last decided to stick with 8. We ran together for the first 4 miles...neither one of us was feeling "the groove". I wasn't looking forward to running the last 6 solo, but then things improved.

Solo, but Not Alone
At mile 6ish, I finally hit a groove. My pace leveled out, transitions between run and walk smoothed (ran 4:1 interval), and that little voice inside my head didn't rear its ugly head by whispering, "Just walk...why bother...what are you trying to prove".

Although I was running solo, I was not running alone. At the ten-mile turn-around, I started to see more TNT runners from other waves. We called out "Go Team!" to each other and had a few conversations with runners as we leap frogged between our run-walk intervals. At miles 6, 7, and 9, I realized I was feeling good. I quickly pushed that thought out of my mind for fear that I would jinx the run. When the finish was in view, I saw the group eating Victoria's Beakfast Burrito's --- I couldn't wait to eat the perfect post-run meal. I chatted, stretched, and just as I was about to eat, one of my mentees came in from her 12 mile run. This was the longest distance Cecile had ever run and she was grinning from ear to ear. She did it, and felt good.

Personal Accomplishments, Team Achievements
We started running as a team in June with a goal of 3-6 miles with zero dollars raised. Marathoners are now running up to 12 miles and, as a team, we have have raised over $115,000! Just imagine how much all Team in Training summer teams will raise nationwide. We are each making personal accomplishments in our running and fundraising goals, while making enormous team achievements for the greater good as a result.

Thank you, once again, to each individual who has donated toward my fundraising efforts. You are indeed making a difference in the lives of so many.
Donations are welcome until the date of my Marathon, October 11, 2009.

6 comments:

toni said...

great job j9!!! pretty soon its ice bath time!

toni said...

great job janine!!!

Jen said...

Woohoo! I'm sorry I had to leave you early, but I'm so glad you had a great run! Next time, we conquer 12 together at our old favorite, Waddell :).

J9 said...

Looking forward to kicking both tires at Waddell!

FullQuieting said...

Great post, J9. You were strong through 6-7 when I saw you, in Vasona. Glad your whole run was good!

Katie said...

*High five* for the ten miles -- that's great! And sounds like your TNT team is doing awesome!!