Yahoo Mr. Yasso!

At Tuesday night's track we did Yasso 800s. Some marathoners swear by Yasso 800s as part of their training program. Bart Yasso (that's him in the pic) developed this theory. The theory is... if you run 10 series of 800 meters at a particular pace, it's possible you could complete a marathon in that time. Between each 800, you have a brief recovery time and the goal is to run at a consistant pace. http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2007/05/yasso-800s-training-tool-or-test/

So J9, how did you do? Well.,.we only did 6 Yasoo's and 4 of those were within 2 seconds of 4:45. Another one was 4:53 (I new this was slow as I was running and should have gone faster) and the last one was 4:25. Not bad! Does this mean I'll run a marathon of 4:45. Probably not. However, if I did the full 10 Yasso's, I'm pretty positive I could have maintained a 5:00 pace for each of the 10 800s. That was NOT possible last August.

My average running pace is around 10:30 per mile on long runs. Now, I take a one minute walk break after every 4 minutes of running - this brought up the overall pace to 13:01/mile on the last 14 mile run. Jen and I are plotting our strategy for long runs:
  • Speed up running by about 10 to 15 seconds/mile
  • Speed up walk breaks
  • Create smooth transition from the run to the walk. We transition to a walk TOO rapidly, and THEN speed up the walk. We're wasting energy during this transition with the fast, slow, fast routine going on. Need to...run, jog, shuffle, fast walk.

This is going to take a lot of effort on this Saturday's 16 mile run, ya know, the brain doesn't always function well on runs. HOWEVER, now is the time to practice building the muscle memory.

No comments: